Matthysse / Pacquiao Hold Manila Presser!
By Kid Hersh
World Boxing Association (WBA) World Welterweight Title holder Lucas Martin Matthysse (39-4-36KO’s) and Manny Pacquiao (59-7-2, 38KO’s) held a press conference today in the Grand Ballroom at the City of Dreams Manila Resort and Casino.
The fight is set to be a historic one already, with the last time Kuala Lumpur hosting championship boxing being in 1975 when Muhammad Ali defended his WBA World Heavyweight Title against Joe Bugner.
Manny Pacquiao will not only be challenging Matthysse for the WBA title, he will also be co-promoting the fight with his company MP Promotions teaming up with Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions to stage the historic event.
At the press conference Pacquiao said that his time in boxing is far from over and that he can easily fight and promote at this stage in his career.
“My time is not done yet, that’s what I’m trying to prove,” said Pacquiao, “I don’t have a prediction but I will do my best to win convincingly. If I could have the chance to finish it right away, I’ll finish it.”
The champion Lucas Matthysse is honored but not intimidated by the daunting task of fighting Pacquiao, offering up “It’s a great opportunity for to fight Manny Pacquiao. It’s a dream come true because he’s a legendary fighter.”
Matthysse also said he would “die for the title” if he had to and further that he would “defend the title to the death.” The champion does not believe that Pacquiao is the same fighter at 39 years old anymore, “He’s [Pacquiao] still very good, but not at the same level.” ever since the knockout loss Pacquiao suffered at the hands of Juan Manuel Marquez.
The stage is set for a historic fight in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, as World Championship boxing returns to the city with another World Boxing Association title fight; the first of it’s kind since the legendary Muhammad Ali graced the country with boxing in 1975.
Pacquiao / Matthysse Confirmed for July!
(April 3rd) Following a tweet by Golden Boy Promotions head Oscar De La Hoya Filipino boxing icon and eight-time world champion Manny “Pac Man” Pacquiao said that he "can't wait" for his next title shot when he takes on WBA Welterweight Champion Lucas “The Machine” Matthysse July 14th, in Kuala Lumpur.
Pacquiao tweeted: "It's on! Can't wait to challenge Lucas Matthysse for another world title on July 15th (July 14 US time) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
De La Hoya confirmed the Matthysse vs Pacquiao bout tweeting "Signed, sealed, and delivered: Proud to officially announce that WBA welterweight world champion Lucas Matthysse will put his title on the line against Manny Pacquiao in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on Saturday night July 14th.
The boxing Congressman, Pacquiao first announcing the fight in a statement last month, having not fought since losing a controversial points fight to Australia's Jeff “Hornet” Horn in Brisbane last July. According to adviser Pacquiao, Michael Koncz the fighting legislator will be returning to action absent his long-time mentor Freddie Roach who has been replaced with longtime confidant and childhood friend Buboy Fernandez.
At 39 years old, Matthysse, 39-4, 36Ko’s will be defending the World Boxing Association World Welterweight Title won stopping Buriram, Thailand’s previously unbeaten Tewa Kiram in eight rounds January 17th.
Ticket and full card information expected to be announced soon.
Pacquiao To Return and Challenge
WBA World Welterweight Champion Lucas Matthysse?
(March 8th) In keeping with today’s permeable political atmosphere it has been “leaked” by General Santos City, Philippines Congressman / former eight-time, seven division, world champion Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao that he will return to the ring May 24th to challenge Chubut, Argentina’s WBA Welterweight Champion Lucas “La Máquina” Matthysse.
Ambushed or leaked the 39-year-old fighting-law maker, Pacquiao, 59-7-2, 39Ko’s saying he will be on break from his day job in the Philippine the Senate is set to begin training next month at his own Wild Card Boxing Gym in General Santos City.
Pacquiao starved of a KO win since his twelve-round dismantling of Miguel Cotto in 2009 having rejected an insolent earlier offer to fight on the undercard of the Jeff Horn / Terence Crawford WBO World Welterweight Championship card in April returns to the ring coming off a controversial WBO title losing twelve round unanimous decision to Brisbane, Australia’s unbeaten Jeff “Hornet” Horn in July.
The 35-year-old, perennial challenger Matthysse, 39-4, 36Ko’s having battled the likes of Zab Judah, Devon Alexander, Danny Garcia and Victor Postol, holding wins over John Molina Jr., Roberto Ortiz, Ruslan Provodnikov and Emmanuel Taylor comes of a WBA title grabbing eighth round knockout of Thailand’s, previously unbeaten Tewa Kiram, January 27th at the Forum in Inglewood, California.
The pugilistic / lawmaker expects to officially announce the fight at the end of the month.