Cotto Media Workout!
Miguel Cotto Spotlight!
(photo credit Miguel Cotto Promotions, LLC)
(August 2nd ) World renowned trainer Freddie Roach shared important details regarding the training camp of Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs), the only Puerto Rican boxer to ever win world titles in four divisions, as he prepares to go to war for the vacant WBO Junior Middleweight title against the Japanese slugger Yoshihiro "El Maestrito" Kamegai (27-3-2, 24 KOs). Cotto will attempt to obtain a sixth world title in four divisions and will appear on HBO for an astounding 23rd time. The event takes place Saturday, August 26 at the StubHub Center in Carson, California and will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing® beginning at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT.
Roach, a Hall of Fame trainer who was supervising a recent sparring session at the Wild Card Boxing Club, shared Cotto's training camp routine:
Strength and conditioning at 5:00 am with Gavin McMillan (exercises are done either at the gym, pool, nearby hills or at the track).
Breakfast at around 8:30 am. (Cotto likes to cook all his meals himself; his diet is normal, avoiding fried food).
Light snack at around 11:15 am.
Sparring three days a week at 1:00 pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Boxing routine on at 1:00 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Dinner at around 5:30 pm.
Roach also provided additional training camp details, including the strategy for taking advantage of the exciting and crowd-pleasing style of Kamegai.
"Kamegai [Yoshihiro] is very aggressive and I like that. I think it should make for a great fight because he's coming forward all the time and always looking for a knockout. Guys who look for knockouts, get knocked out. So, we're working on countering his attack, and it's going really well so far," Roach concluded.
"I feel great, everything is working perfectly in camp together with Freddie and Gavin on every workout session. Freddie has a great game plan and I just follow him and do my best every day at gym. We look forward to have a big win" Miguel Cotto said.
"For more than 16 years, Miguel Cotto has represented Puerto Rico. He has given fans incredible fights at a number of weight classes, and has won world titles in an astounding four divisions," said Oscar De La Hoya. "Now, after nearly two years out of the ring, as he attempts to claim a sixth championship belt, we are fully expecting a tough war between him and Kamegai."
Cotto vs. Kamegai, a 12-round fight for the vacant WBO World Junior Middleweight Championship, is presented by Golden Boy Promotions and Miguel Cotto Promotions in association with Teiken Promotions and sponsored by Tecate "BORN BOLD" and Casa Mexico Tequila. Rey Vargas vs. Ronny Rios is a 12-round world championship fight for the WBC Super Bantamweight Title, and is presented by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Promociones del Pueblo. The event will take place Saturday, August 26 at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif. and will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing® beginning at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT.
Tickets for Cotto vs. Kamegai are on sale and priced at $200, $100, $50 and $25, plus applicable taxes, fees and services charges. Tickets can be purchased at AXS.com, by phone at 888-9-AXS-TIX (888-929-7849), and at StubHub Center Box Office (Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. PT to 6 p.m. PT). VIP Suites are available by calling 877-604-8777. For more information on group discounts or VIP packages, call 877-234-8425.
(July 7th) StubHub Center in Carson, California will play host to two world championship fights on the evening of Saturday, August 26 when WBC World Super Bantamweight Champion Rey Vargas (29-0, 22 KOs) will take on highly touted contender Ronny Rios (28-1, 13 KOs) in a scheduled 12 round bout. The championship event will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing beginning at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT.
Vargas, coming off a majority decision victory over previously undefeated Gavin McDonnell to secure the world championship after racking up scores of wins against top-flight competition, has also signed a multi-year deal with Golden Boy Promotions.
"I am thrilled to defend my world championship for the first time on such a special night at StubHub Center," said Vargas, who went on the road from his native Otumba, Mexico to Yorkshire, England to secure his world title. "I know Ronny Rios is an extremely tough challenger, but he has never tasted power like mine, and I am confident I will come away with the victory."
Rios, a former NABF and WBC Silver Featherweight Champion, gets his first world title shot after rolling through prospects and contenders over a 29-fight career with just a single blemish on his record.
"This is a dream come true for any boxer. Now that it's here, I'm ready to capitalize on the journey me and my coach have been on for several years," said Ronny Rios. "Vargas will provide us with a tough game plan but I've been working my whole life for this opportunity. He has good power and a very good coach with Nacho, but I have a great team as well. I am thankful that GBP has gotten this fight for me - and I expect a tough, tough war from Rey."
The 12-round scrap between Vargas and Rios will be the first of two championship fights, as legendary four-division world champion Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) looks to win an incredible sixth world title as he takes on Yoshihiro "El Maestrito" Kamegai (27-3-2, 24 KOs) in the 12-round main event of the evening.
"People who want to see real fights, for real world championships, are in for a real treat on August 26th," said Oscar De La Hoya, Chairman and CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. "For the last many summers, StubHub Center has played host to the highest action fights in our sport. That tradition will continue at the end of August."
Miguel Cotto vs Yoshihiro Kamegai
Kick Off Presser!
Cotto vs Kamegai Set for August 26th!
(May 24th) After parting ways with Roc Nation earlier this month it has been announced that Caguas, Puerto Rico’s five time, four division former world champion, Miguel “Junito” Cotto will face Tokyo, Japan’s, Yoshihiro "Maestrito" Kamegai, August 26th at StubHub Center in Carson, California.
The fight a Golden Boy, Promociones Miguel Cotto, Teiken co-promotions is set to be broadcast LIVE on HBO California for the WBO World Super Welterweight title vacated by Saul “Canelo” Alvarez after beating Liam Smith in September, some say to delay what has finally be made, a showdown with Gennady “GGG” Golovkin, September 16th.
Seen as a set up fight with semi-retired seven time, four division former world champion Juan Manuel Marquez, the 37-year-old, Cotto, 40-5, 33Ko’s a sure fire future Hall of Famer trained by Freddie Roach last in action dropping a November 21st twelve round unanimous decision loss to Saul “Canelo” Alvarez was last in camp training for a showdown with Texas “Mandingo Warrior” James Kirkland when the fight was cancelled due to Kirkland suffering a broken nose during sparring.
At age 34, Kamegai, 27-3-2, 24Ko’s finding the quick moving boxing spotlight losing a June 2014 twelve round unanimous decision to three time, two division former world champion Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero, unbeaten in his last three bouts comes in off a third-round knockout of little known Nelson Gulpe, October 2015 and 2016 immediate rematch split decision draw avenging eighth round stoppage of Jesus Soto Karass in his last outing this past September.
The official announcement, ticket information and full card are expected to be announced soon.