Canelo / Chavez, Jr.: A Fighting Tradition!
Canelo Turning it Up!
Canelo Defensive Highlights / Golden Boy Boxing!
Canelo vs Chavez Jr. - Official TV Commercial!
Canelo Training for Chavez Jr.
Cinco De Mayo Showdown!
Canelo vs Chavez Jr.
May 6th Cinco de Mayo Showdown Sold Out!
(March 3rd) Living up to its billing as one of the biggest fights of 2017, the Cinco de Mayo weekend showdown set for Saturday, May 6 between two-division world champion Canelo Alvarez (48-1-1, 34KOs) and former WBC middleweight world champion Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. (50-2-1, 32 KOs) has sold out T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
The number of tickets sold, more than 20,000, is among the largest indoor sell-outs in the rich history of Las Vegas prizefights.
"Big fights sell, and as anyone can see from the fact that we sold out Las Vegas' biggest boxing venue less than 10 days after tickets became available, Canelo-Chavez, Jr. is a huge fight," said Golden Boy Promotions CEO and Chairman Oscar De La Hoya. "Now that T-Mobile Arena is full, we will soon announce venues for showing the fight on closed circuit for fans still planning to come to celebrate in Las Vegas, and fans can of course see the fight in the comfort of their own homes on HBO Pay-Per-View."
Earlier this week, Golden Boy Promotions announced that Argentinian slugger Lucas "La Maquina" Matthysse (37-4, 34 KOs) will appear on the HBO Pay-Per-View in his first fight in more than a year and a half against Emmanuel "Tranzformer" Taylor (20-4, 14 KOs). The remainder of the Pay-Per-View slate and undercard will be announced shortly.
Canelo vs. Chávez, Jr. is a 12-round fight presented by Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Tecate, BORN BOLD, Adriana's Insurance and Interjet. Matthysse vs. Taylor is a 10-round fight presented by Golden Boy promotions in association with Arano Boxing and Star Boxing. The event will take place on Saturday, May 6 at T-Mobile Arena and will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View® beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT.
"Machine" vs "Tranzformer"
Lucas Matthysse Returns to Take on Emmanuel Taylor
May 6th on Canelo vs Chavez Jr Undercard!
(February 28th) Argentinian slugger Lucas "La Maquina" Matthysse (37-4, 34 KOs) makes his highly anticipated return taking on Emmanuel "Tranzformer" Taylor (20-4, 14 KOs) on the televised undercard of Canelo Álvarez vs. Julio César Chávez, Jr. mega-fight on Cinco De Mayo weekend. The event will take place Saturday, May 6 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m PT.
The fan-friendly Matthysee, who has engaged in multiple fight of the year candidates, will move up to welterweight for the first time and look to make a run at championship gold.
"I'm very happy to return to the ring and especially on such an important show such as Canelo vs. Chavez Jr. on May 6 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas," said Lucas Matthysse. "I've always brought great fights to demanding fans, and this one against Emmanuel Taylor will not be the exception."
Matthysse has defeated a who's who of contenders during his career including Lamont "Havoc" Peterson, John Molina, Jr., Humberto "La Zorrita" Soto and Ruslan "The Siberian Rocky" Provodnikov.
In Taylor, Matthysse will face a resurgent contender coming off back-to-back knockouts and who has gone toe-to-toe with the likes of Adrien "The Problem" Broner, Chris Algieri and Karim "Hard Hitta" Mayfield, defeating the latter by unanimous decision.
"I feel that I am really blessed to have this opportunity to once again fight on such a big stage," said Taylor. "Matthysse is a very tough fighter but I am sure I'll beat him. This is a great opportunity for me and my family and it's been a long time coming. I have to thank God for this one, my charm city team and my promoter Joe DeGuardia and Star Boxing, D&D Management and Club 57 management for believing in me. I'm ready to get things going and l will definitely be ready on May 6th."
"No one in the sport of boxing brings it harder than Lucas Matthysse, and we're truly excited to have him back in the ring," said Oscar De La Hoya, Chairman and CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. "Lucas truly was a machine in the super lightweight division, and we expect him to do similar damage in the field of welterweights."
"I can't wait to see Emanuel Taylor fight Lucas Matthysse on May 6th," said Joe DeGuardia, President and CEO of Star Boxing. "I'm thrilled it will be on such a special night when boxing's star Canelo Álvarez fights Julio César Chávez,Jr. It's a huge opportunity for Emanuel who has matured and is ready to make his mark on May 6th. I'm very excited to be part of this promotion with my friends at Golden Boy and I expect nothing short of a spirited performance from Emanuel and an exhilarating boxing event on May 6th.
The remainder of the televised pay-per-view undercard will be announced shortly.
Canelo & Chavez Jr. Q&A!
Canelo vs Chavez Houston Press Conference!
Canelo vs Chavez New York Press Conference!
Canelo vs Chavez Jr. Mexico Kickoff Presser!
Canelo vs Chavez Jr is Official for May 6th!
(January 13th) Golden Boy Promotions has officially announced Super Welterweight Champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will defend his WBO title May 6th Cinco de Mayo against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
The fight is set to take place at a 164.5lb catchweight, ten pounds over the 154lb limit Alvarez, 48-1-1, 34Ko’s by-passing a fight with Gennady “GGG” Golvkin, saying "I dedicate this fight to Mexico. I'm going to win, but my country will too because this is the fight that boxing needs" is unbeaten in his last six bouts since dropping a majority decision to Floyd Mayweather September 2013 comes off back to back KO wins over Amir Khan and Liam Smith.
The 30 year old Chavez Jr. 50-2-1, 32Ko’s stopped in nine rounds April 18th, 2015 by Chicago’s, Andrzej Fonfara enters off back to back ten round unanimous decision wins over Marcos Reyes and Dominik Britsch this past December.
Canelo’s Next Fight Against Julio Cesar Chavez, HUH?
Isn’t He Really Ducking Gennady Golovkin?
(Canelo / Chavez Jr. / Golovkin)
(December 24th) Reports have Guadalajara, Mexico “red headed” WBO Light Middleweight Champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez reportedly contemplating a fight against Sinaloa, Mexico’s former WBC World Middleweight Champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
On face value isn’t this a simple unmasking of the highly-touted Alvarez? One must simply ask themselves with Alvarez, 48-1-1, 34Ko’s and the single loss coming to Floyd Mayweather September 2013, why would the Golden Boy Promotions star be considering a fight with Mexican rival Chavez Jr. when a very lucrative and fan demanding fight against WBC Middleweight Champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin looms so large.
The simple question is why is “Canelo” a natural light middle coming off wins over a fading Miguel Cotto, Amir Khan and Liam Smith at 154lbs be so eager to move up to face the son of the Mexican Legend who fighting around the 170lb mark in his last five outings hasn’t fought at 154lbs since 2009.
Called out by 160lb title unifying minded Golovkin on several occasions Canelo has repeatedly has turned the unbeaten power punching WBC Champion seemingly seeking the path of least resistance. Or is the popular “red head” simply scared.
It can’t be the zero, it’s already gone having been drawn out at age 22 by a major payday against “Money” Mayweather.
So now how can "Canelo refusing to fight “GGG” because he didn't want to go 160 pounds but he'll meet Chavez Jr. at 165lbs?" Sure, a Canelo vs Chavez would be an epic payday in Mexico but why suddenly, now? That’s a fight been called for years. It must be Canelo doubt sinking in. How could you say no to 160 but go to 165 for Chavez?
I guess keeping with the new trend in boxing of seeking the least risk for most reward has the proud Mexican fighter who so boast fully declared he's not afraid of no man, least of all Golovkin has to pile up the paydays to settle a Florida court ordered 8.5 million-dollar judgement to his former promoter Felix "Tutico" Zabala Jr. in June.
With reports of a six million dollar offer to Chavez to take the fight Cinco de Mayo 2017 the excuses to avoid Golovkin will only pile up with Chavez saying he wants Golovkin if a Canelo fight can’t be made and the WBO just naming Canelo as the mandatory challenger to another “GGG” ducker, Billy Joe Saunder’s middleweight title.
While you can’t call anyone, who climbs them stairs “chicken”, it appears if not scared the 26-year-old Mexican fighter unable to duck the unbeaten, 34 year Golovkin forever, is at the least intimidated.
Fighting like he's in the witness protection program, taking a page from his indirect mentor Floyd Mayweather, Canelo can only hope someone else can get the dirty work done, or at the least the heavy handed Golovkin will be a year older. Everything said and done, it’s those reasons, that despite the loss Bernard Hopkins suffered calling out of heavy handed Joe Smith Jr. it was that challenge that was so special. Boxing is at its best when, champions answer the challenge to act like a CHAMPION.